Spring has sprung, and rhubarb has won! In this episode, the versatile ingredient will be broken down … to a compote! Is it a veggie or fruit? How is it used in both sweet and savory recipes?
- Get inspired to make your own strawberry-rhubarb compote over ice cream! (03:00)
- Vanilla my sugar! We share a simple tip for tempering vinaigrettes, balancing marinara sauce, caramelizing slow-roasted tomatoes, and glazing your grilled steaks. (11:40)
- It’s all about the dirt, as Chris digs into the reasons why nutrient-rich soil is essential for a healthy harvest and dispels the myth of the ‘perfect garden.’ Meanwhile, Brooke turns overripe onions into blossoming bulbs and updates us on her salvaged potatoes. Later, the journey detours to the land of lemony sorrel and herbal chervil, also known as French parsley. (14:15)
- Hold the plastic! The ladies exchange ideas for maintaining an ecofriendly kitchen and extending the shelf-life of our precious produce. (25:00)
- Chris shares one of her favorite books by Ellen Ecker Ogden, The Complete Kitchen Garden: An Inspired Collection of Garden Designs and 100 Seasonal Recipes.
- Finally, we discuss long handle spoons, flea markets and more helpful resources from the Sage Advice newsletter. (30:20)